Wednesday, June 03, 2009

2000 Miles

I did not stop in Hatch since chile season occurs in the fall, but no where on earth can more red and green chiles be found. Roasted chiles, seasoned chiles, fresh chiles, jarred chiles, chilied chiles. I didn’t have time to check out the very large dish array about an hour from Socorro, a slight regret because I am sure it is quite a sight and odds of having such an easy chance again are now remote.

I love Albuquerque, which occurs to me as a Tucson improved in every way. 2500 feet higher, its weather is almost perfect, and instead of Cloth, the town has real economic and downtown development, which means superior job opportunities and an infinitely more enjoyable and interesting downtown. The city also has a for real workforce development institute that (imagine) continuously upgrades the skills of the Albuquerque labor force. Individuals who like living in Tucson but are interested in improving the experience in about every possible metric should consider Albuquerque.

Seen the massive windmill farm north of I-40 about 30 miles west of Amarillo? It may be as large as the one in California east of LA. I stopped in Amarillo to check out the steak house that has the 72 ounce steak that is free if you can eat it including the sides in less than an hour. That is like to going to Outback and eating six steaks (disgusting). Why am I not surprised to find the glorification of gluttony in Texas?

Experientially, both the atmosphere and the vegetation start to change in Oklahoma. The moisture starts climbing and the vegetation reacts as the grasses grow thicker and more colorful. This continues as one moves north from Oklahoma into Kansas, serious grass country, and I highly recommend the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve north east of Wichita.

I completely forgot the size of St. Louis and the intensity of its traffic, which reminded me of times long ago in Chicago. Speaking of Chicago, seeing a freeway sign for it evoked quite the twinge – I don’t have the words. Starting this morning, the final day, far to the east of St. Louis and away from its congested thoroughfares, by 8AM I was on the road for the place I now call home. The trek through Illinois started with fields, and upon leaving Illinois, I could tell I was getting close. It started to get beautiful, just jaw dropping spectacular. Flat terrain became rolling hills, and the vegetation exploded into thick rich forests intermixed with luscious green moisture soaked grasses. At times the freeway became a road cut through thick woods.

I will never forget the desert, and it will forever remain a part of my heart and soul. I am now a long way from Tucson, and the distance involves more than 2000 miles.

12 Comments:

Blogger TexPatriate said...

*ahem*

There's more to Texas than gluttony, sir. =)

Besides, Amarillo is little more than Oklahoma Light, no matter what the natives tell ya.

6/03/2009 10:02 PM  
Anonymous Mariana said...

You did more tan your fair share trying to change things around here. The rest of us should do the same before considering greener pastures.
Welcome home!

6/04/2009 4:48 AM  
Blogger Mariana said...

spell check, spell check!
too early..

6/04/2009 4:51 AM  
Blogger Liza said...

There are parts of this country that are most definitely "jaw dropping spectacular." I will never forget the first time I saw the rolling hills of Kentucky or my first trip to Lake Tahoe in California. My most memorable jaw dropping moment, however, was driving into West Virginia from southern Ohio in the early fall.

Distance is about more than miles, to be sure. And there's something about a cross country trip that kind of clears the mind and renews the spirit.

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, X4mr.

6/04/2009 8:42 AM  
Blogger The Navigator said...

Based upon x4mr's description, I know EXACTLY where he is. I will leave it to him to disclose, but his clues leave no doubt.

Talk about walking the walk when it comes to the expression, "And now for something completely different."

Enjoy the top of the hill, x4mr.

6/04/2009 11:10 AM  
Blogger Mariana said...

I think I know it too. My geography is not that good but I took in consideration the kind of institution which...well, we'll find out soon.

6/04/2009 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Observer said...

X4mr is quite clever. I am certain that he most intentionally told US where he is without telling everyone else.

Those willing to think a little will quickly discern where he is right now. Those just glancing and scanning (that don't care) will move on without giving it a thought.

One of the reasons I like this blog is that I can see how x4mr writes on multiple levels where the same words say different things to different audiences.

See what I'm saying? He's told his regular readers without feeding google a single keyword.

6/04/2009 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, but where is he? for those of us too dumb to discern.

6/05/2009 9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anon2 said...

Anon,

It is right in front of you. He left St. Louis, and after crossing Illinois encountered beautiful rolling hills. Get a map. Did you read Liza's comment? Liza, Nav, Mariana, and Observer all get it.

Perhaps it's because they know the nature of x4mr's next employer (it's not fast food).

6/05/2009 10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly hope you find that for which you are searching. Tucson is corrupt and infested with politically correct bull-shitters that do nothing more than "tolerate" rather than accept...they also love to protect each other from the law. I am searching still and feel my purpose is about to be revealed. I can't wait for the next chapter. Do keep us updated...
your director of sales...

6/06/2009 11:38 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Thanks again, all, and as already acknowledged, you guys are sharp. As just about always (or always), Nav is spot on, and Observer's (and Liza's) also hit the mark.

This is a "pseudo" anonymous blog, and Observer's right about content on multiple levels. It's not anonymous at all in the sense that most who read it know exactly who I am. Comments routinely use my first name which is no problem at all.

Observer is also right that search engines are a consideration and I prefer a modest profile. A determined searcher can find EVERYTHING, but a casual 30-60 second effort yields little.

I speculate that within a month a google search on my name will return (in addition to others with my name) information from my new employment, since the department maintains a web site that lists names of staff.

6/07/2009 6:47 AM  
Blogger Eli Blake said...

Good luck with your new life. As long as you're keeping the blog you're never all that far away.

I grew up in Albuquerque and went to college in Socorro so I could definitely relate to that part of your post. Consider that a generation or two ago New Mexico was one of the poorest states in the country and has since then been dominated by Democrats with an occasional Republican Governor, while Arizona was then better off than New Mexico but has been dominated by Republicans with the occasional Democratic Governor and it is like night and day the changes that occurred. If 30 years ago you would have predicted that one of the two states would today be ranked in the bottom five in teacher salaries and in the top five in dropout rate, everyone would have assumed it would be NM, and they would have been wrong.

6/08/2009 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE