Thursday, October 02, 2008

Greetings from Albuquerque

Albuquerque, New Mexico. Spent yesterday on the road clipping along from Tucson to Albuquerque. About 90 minutes into the trip, I fly past this old looking, fainted paint, low income person type Camaro, its windows down. About ten minutes later, I look up, and said Camaro is right behind me. I flew past that car, so he sped up. Perhaps the timing had to do with my sudden interest possibly noticeable through the rear view mirror, but at this time, he turns his flashers on.

WTF?!

The guy is a cop? I am so busted. My car does not have cruise control, and I'd been having a tough time keeping the speed under 90. I'd drop back to 85, go a few minutes, and then notice I'd crept up to 95. Well, dammit!

I pull over, and out steps this young guy almost looking like a kid, in jeans, T-shirt with short sleeves, semi-long hair. I knew something was unusual by the thigh belt holding what was clearly a firearm larger than a pistol. As he got closer, I could see his arms were loaded with various tattoos, and his ears had multiple piercings, and that the weapon might be fully automatic. At this point, getting a ticket was the least of my concerns.

The kid was an undercover DEA agent. He asks, "Why were you driving 100 mph?"

I could tell he was scanning the car and yours truly, quickly concluding I'm a blogger geek and academic type, and that the payload in the trunk involved a lap top, not drugs. He warned me that the highway patrol was all around, and that they would not be so nice if they see me at 100 mph.

I spent the rest of the day at 85.

Speaking of speeding, I am actually staying in Corrales, which is northwest of Albuquerque, and if you think Oro Valley is uptight about speeding, it's nothing compared to this town. They have a sign:

Drive Slow, see our Village.
Drive Fast, see our Judge.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you speed in Corrales, they will string you up in the town square.

The balloon festival is extraordinary. It starts tomorrow, right?

You do realize that agent could just as well have been the gangster he looked like. His associate in the back would take your car after your bullet ridden carcass is tossed in the ditch.

10/02/2008 12:32 PM  
Blogger Liza said...

Yeah, that young man would have scared me half to death. I've seen too many episodes of "Forensic Files" to have believed that he was for real.

However, none of this could have happened to me because I don't think I have ever driven over 75 mph, maybe 80, especially in my truck.

Well, have a good time, X4mr.

10/02/2008 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE