Sunday, June 01, 2008

$/H

Oakland, CA. Currently at Cato’s Ale House at Piedmont and Montell listening to live Irish music (a bassist, violinist, guitar player, accordion, and an oboe). The current draft is an Arrogant Bastard Ale. Mostly, I’m thinking about a young woman at Stanford living in what is close to paradise just off Mayfield and Campus. The nearby homes ooze SES, and speaking of SES, back in Oakland, I headed further up the hill to Tilden Regional Park, the road to which offers spectacular views overlooking the entire bay area including both Oakland and San Francisco. The view was more spectacular than any portrayal I could find online.

Speaking of views, I thought of the recent shuttle launch, the first to feature the spouse of a member of Congress, amply mentioned in the MSM. I noticed that this time, Congressional spouse Mark Kelly is the commander, not the pilot. Until convincingly shown otherwise, I’ll believe they married for common folk reasons, unlike royalty. In either case, the couple likely faces better stars than Shakespeare’s most famous couple, their Arizona ceremony making the front page of the New York Times with a photograph featuring full dress uniforms and swords at angles framing the marital kiss.

As I wrote in Something Else, when I met Gabrielle Giffords "data of another sort" suggested correctly or not I was meeting someone not usually encountered. Such perception does not always bring tidings of good joy, for said data also sang when I met David X who later climbed into a gasoline soaked sleeping bag and lit a match.

I will always wonder what David was thinking during the six months his sleeping bag suicide required.

Returning to STS-124, BEE IS TOAST. The man does not even know what he is running against. Last I heard, he intends to suggest Giffords is responsible for the price of gasoline. When the next David has to spend more to prepare his sleeping bag, we know who to blame.

Now why didn’t I see THAT before?

8 Comments:

Blogger The Navigator said...

X4mr, This is a creepy post. It is like one of those crystals a woman hangs in her window, the sunlight hitting it and shining different colors in different directions all over the room.

Some of your colors are not part of the rainbow.

The concept of a sleeping bag soaked in gasoline. Are you referring to the shuttle or to the United States or both?

Is David X a real event?

6/01/2008 10:07 PM  
Blogger Liza said...

The only thing that I dislike about this blog is that out of nowhere come these posts about Giffords being such an extraordinary human being.

X4mr, I do not deny that you may very well feel something in her presence and you have come to this conclusion.

However, it is not interesting. Just like everything other person on this earth, not everything that you think or feel is interesting.

This is one of those times.

Just letting you know....

6/02/2008 8:11 AM  
Blogger Liza said...

Make that "every other person on this earth."

6/02/2008 8:13 AM  
Blogger The Navigator said...

Liza, if you were to look over x4mr's blog and count the number of stories that seem to praise Giffords, and I emphasize "seem" for a reason, you will find the count is rather low.

I don't have time to check, but like this one, most have another angle.

I interpreted this post as saying a lot more about social stratification than Giffords personally.

6/02/2008 8:35 AM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Long day. Planes, etc.

Liza, I love you and value your readership and comments, but you might wish to consider that I have more 2008 stories about the Eggplant regime, the presidential race, and believe it or not, stories praising the New England Patriots than I do about a certain Congresswoman.

Nav is spot on that SES plays the main role of this particular piece. The story has a lot more to do with SES, choices, and intuition than an elected official.

At risk of appearing dramatic, I can't say more about the lines and walls piece. Maybe when the blood in the bandages grows dark. I hurt myself on that one.

As I have said to many, "Extract what is useful and discard the rest."

6/02/2008 8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Navigator/x4mr,
You are both smitten and sweet on Liza. She doesn't get it, but you are kind.

You sell out, x4mr, on your metaphor of the gasoline soaked sleeping bag.

Brilliant. Why do you sell it short?

A gasoline soaked sleeping bag.

PERFECT.

Liza thinks you have a crush on Giffords. Hah. You have a crush on Liza.

6/02/2008 11:55 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Anon,

Try writing while sober. I am on a self-declared romantic hiatus and have a crush on no one.

Yes, the gasoline soaked sleeping bag is rich, but I don't like to toot my own metaphors. It represents the country far more than the shuttle, for which I have no concerns (this time).

A year or two ago one weekend (Saturday, I think, but maybe Sunday), while on a treadmill in a gym, I saw TV's showing a countdown to a shuttle launch and I went nuts. I became convinced the mission was doomed, I mean really CONVINCED. People were about to die. I started screaming at the TV, "ABORT!" The count was down to eight minutes or so. Others in the gym made faces as I'm running and screaming, "Don't launch!!"

The clock kept ticking. I kept running and screaming. It really was quite the fiasco. At about five minutes they aborted the whole thing.

NASA had to drain the fuel, etc., and reset everything for a few days later. I promise this is the truth. They were within minutes on a weekend and aborted with only a few minutes to go.

6/03/2008 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will be at Cato's in 2 weeks. Small world. Does anyone recall the Arizona Star reporter named Robert Giffords, who allegedly was married to Gabrielle, and took her last name. He bragged about it. She swears she has never been married before. Verdad anyone?

6/05/2008 1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE