Sunday, January 27, 2008

A President Like My Father


As mentioned yesterday, Caroline Kennedy has a written a moving endorsement of Barack Obama for President of the United States. I was not born when the country elected JFK. The most emotional election in the history of my life was 1992. I will remember forever buying the champagne, standing in line at the store with others buying champagne. People cried. I cried. We cheered and danced and watched the president elect play the saxophone wearing dark sunglasses. Suddenly the world seemed brighter, like there might be a chance for humanity to make it, that it was possible for someone who actually cared about people to take the helm of the nation.

I've been told 1960 felt the same way, almost exactly two months before your humble blogger was born. A younger generation committed to the welfare of the many and not the connected few replaced the old guard and the country fell in love. Kennedy was going to get us out of Vietnam. Then the old guard returned, and lying for the sake of war profiteers, invaded another nation to squander outrageous sums and ruin the lives of hundreds of thousands of American citizens forced into service against their will.

The Clinton administration inherited massive debt incurred under 12 years of "deficits don't matter" GOP administrations. Clinton succeeded in obtaining a better than balanced budget with a surplus after one of the most prosperous economic expansions in the country's history, and relative peace. Things were so good a sexual encounter with an intern seemed like a huge crisis.

In 2000 the American people voted for more. An individual of character, seeing the popular vote against him, would have conceded the election at once. Eggplant, having the character of a snake and the soul of a demon (or no soul at all) usurped control and sacrificed competence for blind allegiance. Would 911 have occurred with a competent administration? We will never know. Corrupt and malevolent, Bush lied to start an unprecedented cash cow for his buddies, blatantly and in complete view violating the constitution and everything the country stands for. Cheney boasted with a smile to ABC News before the 2006 election, "The election doesn't matter. We do what we want."

The 2008 election surpasses 1992 as the most emotional I have ever experienced. Tomorrow Senator Edward Kennedy will endorse Barack Obama for President of the United States. Governor Janet Nepolitano has endorsed Barack Obama. The Democrats have the best candidate for president they have had in my lifetime. Do they select a candidate that half the country cannot stand (for good reason or not) or do they select someone who can win this thing, and not only win, but truly introduce new possibilities?

The time has come for Democrats to muster the courage to recognize real change from more of the same. Cheney's pigs have stolen the country to serve as their cow. The time has come to take back what has been taken.

With a vengeance.

On Tuesday, February 5th, I want to see the cactus voting in an unprecedented blue tidal wave that even in Arizona results in more blue votes than red. Yes we can. South Carolina delivered. See you at the polls. I'll be wearing my x4mr certified blogger badge on a Giffords for Congress T-shirt.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

x4mr, what poll location are you going to be at?

I would be happy to sign Giffords petition. I live in District 28.

I vote Obama on the 5th.

I don't get the vote for Hillary. Talk about something that divides the country. I don't know why so many hate her, but they do.

That's a problem for a president.

1/27/2008 9:32 PM  
Blogger Curtis Dutiel said...

Hey anonymous, I too live in LD 28.
Were you as shocked as I was that our stste Senator, Paula ABoud, said she might be able to back Pearce's latest insane bill allowing teachers to carry guns at school??

I plan on contacting her office Monday. If she can't explain her comments to me, I will back someone, ANYONE to run against her.

1/27/2008 11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Along with The Arizona Republic, Obama has received endorsements over the last few days from:

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch
The San Francisco Chronicle
The Philadelphia Inquirer
The San Jose Mercury News
The Chicago Tribune
The Seattle Times
The Santa Barbara Independent
The Sacramento Bee
The New York Observer
The Greenville News
The Modesto Bee

Hillary is polarizing. Obama unites. His running mate should be Wesley Clark.

1/27/2008 11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...this is looking like momentum...big time. The Bill Clinton campaign seems to have backfired. I am still surprised at it. Remember when, not so many months ago, she was up in the polls by 10-20% in most states? (Problem is that she still is in most SuperTuesdays states...polls done before SC though). My point, apart from that aside, is that she was running her own campaign, Bill was in the shadows, and the focus was on her, her experience, her affinity with women voters...and now we see Bill, Bill, Bill...

He has overshadowed her on the first count (OUCH>>>STUPID) and done it poorly on the second.

1/28/2008 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The polls that I was talking about...this site gives polls from upcoming states. Note carefully that none of them included data that is post SC. The closest includes the Saturday they were voting.

BUT...

Look at the leads that Hillary has in CA, NY, etc etc etc.

Hillary is trying to put a spotlight on Florida so that she can manufacture some momentum from a state that has no delegates and that no one campaigned in. I hope the media don't let it happen.

http://www.presidentpolls2008.com/

1/28/2008 9:37 AM  
Blogger Curtis Dutiel said...

Roger, Hillary is no pushing the DNC to let the FL and MI delegates count. All of the dems initially agreed to NOT campaign in Florida and Michigan, but Hillary has broken those promises. This says that she is more about winning and less about integrity. She and John mcCain make a great pair in that regard.

1/28/2008 2:32 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

She is totally about winning.

I know I am going to cry Tuesday night. I just don't know what kind of tears they will be.

1/28/2008 2:55 PM  
Blogger Framer said...

So what do you do when Hillary wins the nomination? Especially with the cheap and dirty manner that she has pursued the nomination?

Just curious.

What do all the rest of those who truly believed in Obama do?

I would suspect that McCain or Romney may start looking a little better, and they are not that far behind Hillary to begin with.

1/28/2008 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Framer,

Your questions are good ones. A big question for Dems is if this will fracture the party and independents.

But...don't even think of underestimating how dispised the GOP is...even by members of the GOP.

I suspect that I will be very bummed about an Obama loss...and then will send a check to Clinton and do all that I can to be sure that the Presidency does not fall into the hands of your party again.

I mean really, a recession on your watch, an unpopular war, deficits out the roof, and a party that doesn't even seem to believe in what it says anymore...

I don't know but Hillary has my vote if she wins...far far more than war-monger McCain and Dancin Mitt Romney.

1/28/2008 4:45 PM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Framer,
First, I will heave and wretch until nothing is left in my stomach. Then I scream and yell primordial cave man style. Then I smash some glasses and throw things.

Then I write a blistering blog post calling the democrats a bunch of flipping idiots who had the presidency right in front of them and have quite possibly blown it.

Then I pour a stiff drink and wish Liza were running the party.

I have already said I will vote for her, but on an empty stomach with a clothes pin on my nose.

As an Independent, I agree with Roger. An Obama nomination will continue his momentum to victory. A Hillary nod does the opposite. Independents like myself will be furious. We won't vote red, but there are many like Liza (who is progressive) that will simply abstain.

We also an Independent candidate to think about and who that might be.

A Hillary/McCain race is likely to encourage Bloomberg.

I don't know where you are on McCain, but you realize Hillary trounces the rest. Only McCain has a good shot (leads her head on by 2.4%). I don't know what the McCain haters at SA are thinking. The rest trail her by double digits.

There are elements of the GOP, or rather, the GOP of years ago, I deeply respect and support. When I speak vitriol toward the GOP, it is from a desire to get the dumb ass kicked out of it.

It's part of life. We're all born with dumb ass. Getting it kicked out is a necessary right of passage to become a decent human being.

Some of us require a bigger boot and a harder kick.

Your party is VERY ill, having prostituted itself, and it hurts to say that. Throw the whores out.

That said, watching the Bill and Hillary show is equally painful.

1/28/2008 5:34 PM  
Blogger Framer said...

According to Rasmussen (probably the best of the polling bunch), Hillary leads McCain 47% to 45%, and leads Romney 47% to 42%. Republicans always trail this far out historically. Notice the ceiling of 47%

Additionally it's Obama 46% McCain 41%, and even Romney is making up ground at 47% to 38%. Thats a three point pickup from two weeks ago for Romney.

It looks to me that there is a ceiling of 47% for the Democrats which about matches Kerry's totals. I agree that Obama has a better chance of exceeding this limit, but i can also see Hillary signifigantly underperforming this number, especially if she continues to campaign in such a divisive manner.

But congratulations on making her your eventual nominee.

1/29/2008 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE