Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Tucson Town Hall

Tucson, Arizona. Well, former UA President Peter Likins and many of the fine pillars in our community are hosting a Town Hall in early May. I received an invitation personally signed by Peter Likins leaving me with the impression that they had chosen 75 specific invitees (click on the "Who Should Attend?" link), and we needed to rsvp almost at once, which I did.

Well, now word is on the street that they opened the event up to another 75 from the "general public", and something like 500 responded. OK, fine. The disturbing piece, perhaps, is that I am hearing that some of the 75 specifically designated folks originally invited with the nice letter directly from Likens are now being told they have been rejected.

Well, I didn't ask to be invited to this thing, and neither did certain people I know. But we were, and the letter made no bones about how we were part of the 75 specifically selected, and that we were "carefully selected" and could not designate alternates in our place.

My situation remains unknown, but I know of another who got the same fancy invitation, responded, and then got told she was "wait listed." I haven't tried to contact Ron Shoopman yet, but I am thinking about it.

Here's my request. If they had a core 75, publish the names. I don't care whether I am on it or not, seriously. What my associate, and myself, are reacting to is being told one thing when the truth is something else. This is also known as lying.

Who did they invite as the original 75? Was it really 75 letters, or was it 200? Of this group, who accepted? Of this group, who were then declined after being pumped up to attend?

Even if admitted, depending on what happens to some others, I may blow this thing off.

Should by chance any town hall proponents read this, they have some cleaning up to do about setting people up to attend and then rejecting their rsvp's.

4 Comments:

Blogger Daniel R. Patterson, Editor said...

Although very qualified, involved and motivated, I was also not selected by Likins (who is chairing the Walkup for Mayor campaign).

This leaves me quite suspicious of the fairness and balance of this process.

I contacted Likins to ask him why, but he has not even responded.

The Tucson 'Town Hall' may be BUSINESS as usual, and not much more.

Daniel R. Patterson
Tucson Planning Commissioner
President, Santa Rita Park Neighborhood Association
Ecologist

4/13/2007 7:41 AM  
Blogger x4mr said...

I wish I could say I am surprised. I have not yet received word, but the person I know who was rejected is a former State Representative with an outstanding reputation in the community.

I'll post a comment here when I receive notification about myself.

4/13/2007 9:34 AM  
Blogger x4mr said...

Well, I have not received the packet in the mail, but I made an inquiry and was told that indeed, I am one of the delegates on the list and expected to attend.

Frankly, I am very surprised, because my associate, and I would assert Daniel Patterson, are more "active" and would seem to be stronger choices, although, yes, I will be going to the event with a lot to say.

Unless they change their mind and something changes, I will be going, and as I said before, if I go, I will post about it at this blog.

4/13/2007 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That they would let you in is almost ironic given what has occurred and what is coming.

I am not even close to something like this, and I am glad.

Going to the event with a lot to say? Holy shit. Will you hold your tongue if given the microphone before the whole group? Will you talk about 2/15?

I have figured out how to link. This was my first. I hope it works.

You can make jokes about my underwear, but I think I know the letter you are referring to.

Someone rather important has lied in writing to someone rather important.

Am i right?

Did you get the letter?

4/15/2007 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE