Sunday, April 22, 2007

Eccentric Imagery, Ugly Water, and Orthography

Tucson, Arizona. Well, your humble blogger had a mathematician visit for the weekend, a real mathematician. There's like 20 people on the planet that understand what she's talking about, and I am not one of them. Well, gave her a copy of "Something Else" to review, and she could barely read the document, "If you are going to write something, you should at least show some respect for your readers by having the orthography befitting a high school graduate."

I confess that while she used the restroom I rushed to my dictionary, a prominent feature of my living room, to look up the word orthography. Well, I am now officially glad she left me for the epistemologist during her days at Chapel Hill.

Could you imagine having a significant other that gets on your case about orthography? Actually, I am kidding. Her input was very valuable and appreciated, and it was great to see her again. Not that anyone cares, but a bunch of math people came to Tucson this weekend to deliver results and share insights.

I won't even link to the latest events in Iraq or mention them.

You heard it here first (as far as I know): Tim Bee will fail against Gabrielle Giffords. What does Tim have to give up to go after her in earnest?

Well, to meet the standards of this differential geometer, I must submit my work to a professional editor that can note my orthographical transgressions and raise my writing to standards befitting a high school graduate. I believe the going rate is something like $5 for every 250 words.

We're talking about a couple grand to clean the thing up. Well, clean or not, it's here on 07/07. There is blood in the water, but unlike earlier times, this time the blood is darker. This is not easy to describe and I probably violate orthography rules of some kind, but the blood is like coffee left on the burner for a long time. It gets that darker quality.

The blood of a single human being is bright red, and I know the smell of that iron. This is different. We are not talking about a person. We are talking about an entire organization. It just feels different.

The time is short, but the hours are long.

I am glad, because I have much to do in these few remaining hours. The boat is low in the water and sinking. The conversations of the intelligent correspond to this truth. The smart are doing what they must. I'm past trying to guess what the others are thinking.

There are different kinds of astronauts. Some leave the grip of earth's gravity to explore realities beyond its reach. Some leave the grip of something else and explore different frontiers.

On a lighter note, at least we're not talking about Anne Nichol anymore.

Oh, there's Blackwater, headed by Erik Prince. Seriously read about this guy. Then there's Blackwater, and then there's Blackwater.

And you think my images are creepy, and why the images? Well, they capture something about the current state of the situation on many levels, and I do not just refer to myself. Perhaps some sense of realism and normalcy will return, but at the moment, this whole planet occurs as positively surreal.

Are we really doing what we are doing in Iraq? Has our government become as corrupt as it really looks? Are we financially bleeding the way I think we are? Is my little company really going to close for the stupidest of all possible reasons? Did pharmaceutical companies write our Medicare legislation and force it through the way I heard? Is this reality, or am I in the middle of some very long nightmare and can't seem to wake up?

Can I click my heels together and chant, "There's no place like home"?

3 Comments:

Blogger Sirocco said...

It's unlikely to be a nightmare, or we are all dreaming it together.

Unless, of course, I am just part of your nightmare ... or you are merely part of mine.

4/23/2007 7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I sure don't get your mathematician friend. Obviously I have not seen the document you refer to, but I have read your blog for some time, and your grammar seems very good. Actually, I think you are a pretty good writer based what you have been posting.

You're better than me.

Yes, this is a nightmare, and there is no end in sight. I don't think it has an end. We will still be there in five years, bleeding and bleeding.

I am reading Inside Tucson Business.

4/23/2007 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find that doll image?

The second one.

Who would make a doll with a face like that? Dang.

4/23/2007 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



SOMETHING ELSE